Monday, March 11, 2013

Peepers

Late night, early morning. One neighbor had a bad date, the other had no date. We ended up commiserating with what started as a large bottle of whiskey, hence no NaCreSoMo post last night. I played drums at the Slovene Hall for their monthly polka dance and tried to video that as a creative act, but the video came out poorly enough to veto. (I've had to defend polka to a lot of people, so whatever product that goes out has to be top notch as it already has such an odd reputation...) It came down to eyes, my go to absent-minded pen on paper drawings. There are about twenty more or so on the page, if this isn't creepy enough.

4 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of your sketching abilities. ALSO: this would make awesome wallpaper for a wall during an art show, or a front door. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, polka is great and you shouldn't have to defend it to anyone. It's pretty much pure dancing happiness in music form.

    Secondly, I really like the weathered quality to your eye drawing, they all seem old with stories. Also a couple of them (namely the second and third one's in the second row from the bottom) almost look like sideways people with their hands over their heads, like this: http://www.magforwomen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/15-minutes-of-stretching-exercises-to-keep-fit-stretch-sideways.png

    Maybe you could play around with this and draw something that close up looks like eyes but far away is a scene with people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much! I think the weathered quality comes from a lack of strong long lines, and more tentative chicken scratches and cross hatches. I like the idea of drawings that change as one's perspective changes, like those brain teaser type things (?) that would be a princess right side up or an old crone when seen upside down...the only problem is it involves actually planning ahead on a drawing. I'll try it though.

      Regarding the polka? Yes, Yes, and yes. I haven't danced it that much, as I've spent most of my time behind the drum kit, but I've never seen that many healthy and happy old people. They could dance circles--skills and endurance wise--around me, and everyone leave's smiling. (Cheap drinks probably don't hurt.)

      Delete